LUDLOW Colts boss Mark Tonkinson admits he would love to end a strange season on a high by booking a place in a May cup final.

Tonkinson’s side reached the Herefordshire FA Charity Bowl semi-final with a nail-biting 3-2 penalty shoot-out win over Hinton Reserves after the sides drew 2-2 after extra time on Saturday.

Colts will meet Hereford Pegasus Reserves on May 8 for the right to face Clee Hill United or Ledbury Town in the final.

“It would be nice for the club, for the team and for the players to get to a final after such a long lay-off,” Tonkinson admitted.

“I can’t fault the lads since we returned. The two games we have played, they haven’t looked off the pace at all considering we had such a long break.

“Pegasus are a good team to be fair. We played them earlier in the season and they are a good outfit so we know we will be in for a tough game.”

Colts made a poor start against Hinton, falling behind after an early defensive mix-up and relying on several outstanding saves from debutant goalkeeper Jim Edwards to limit the deficit to just one.

Ludlow improved after the break as Jack Francis was hacked down in the area and Jabez Smith tucked home the penalty to equalise.

Smith, however, then blazed a second spot-kick over the bar after Sam Thomas was fouled in the box.

A Hinton defender diverted a Francis cross past his own keeper to give Colts the lead but Hinton levelled to force extra time.

Both sides had chances to win it in the additional period as Hinton hit the bar and had a goal ruled out for offside while Jake Conod saw a third Ludlow penalty saved after another foul on Thomas.

Conod and keeper Edwards missed in the shoot-out but Sol Barker, Coz Jones and Thomas punished three misses from Hinton to send Colts through.

Clee Hil’s progress was more serene, beating Holme Lacy 4-1 with a brace from Craig Breakwell and goals from Calum Gibbons and Adam Warren.

Mark Boucker and Declan Bright scored twice as Tenbury Town thrashed Leominster 7-2 to reach the quarter-finals of the Herefordshire Junior Cup.

Robbie Gittens, Zak Gittens and Alex Bright also netted for Town, who were joined in the last eight by Tenbury United, who edged out Fownhope Reserves 3-2.

Elsewhere, Ludlow FC claimed their first win in the mini-group competition launched by the Salop Leisure League after the voiding of its traditional season.

Ryan Lewis bagged a hat-trick, while Sean Evans, Aaron Dovey and Jack Davies were also on target as they beat Wrockwardine Wood 6-2.

“It’s been great to get back to normality and this is all getting us ready for next year,” said boss Chris Waldron.