DEVASTATED loved ones of a Kidderminster ambulance crew member who was tragically killed in a car crash have paid an emotional tribute to him.

Emergency Medical Technician Gavin Hunt died when the car he was travelling in with his wife Alison was involved in a smash with a Lexus on The Terrace in Clows Top, at around 7.20pm on Friday (February 2) night.

Residents from the village rushed out to the scene and provided first aid, while also stopping other traffic on the road, before emergency services arrived.

Ambulance staff, including a number of off duty staff, police and firefighters all worked immensely hard at the scene to save 52-year-old Gavin’s life. Sadly, despite all of the efforts he was confirmed dead at the scene.

His wife Alison, who was seriously injured, remains in a stable condition in hospital.

Mr Hunt’s family paid tribute to his dedication to his job and thanked everyone for the support and messages received following the tragedy.

He joined Hereford and Worcester Ambulance Service in 1997 and had never had a day off sick during his career.

He was due to be presented with his 20-year Long Service and Good Conduct Medal in March at the Trust’s Award Ceremony.

In a statement Alison, Gavin’s brother Andrew and his sister, Lisa, said: “On behalf of our respective families, we would like to express our sincere thanks for all of the messages of condolence and support shown to us at this very difficult time.

“As a family, we were all very proud of Gavin’s achievements whilst working for West Midlands Ambulance Service.

“Gavin loved the work that he did and dedicated his working life to helping others.

“Through his work he made many friends and he became a familiar and welcome face to people in Kidderminster and the surrounding areas.

“We are extremely grateful for the efforts of Gavin’s colleagues and friends when trying to save his life in what must have been extremely difficult circumstances for all concerned.

“He is not only a loss to us and his colleagues, but a loss to the whole community in which he served.”

Trust Chief Executive, Anthony Marsh, said: “Gavin was taken away from his family, friends, colleagues and the community he served so faithfully, far too soon.

“I saw, first hand not only how deeply upset staff were at the scene but also how incredibly hard and professionally they worked with police and fire colleagues at this immensely difficult incident. Together, they truly did all they could to save Gavin’s life.

“Talking to staff, I know just how much of a well-respected member of the ambulance family in Kidderminster he was; he will be greatly missed.”