A TENBURY man has admitted a health and safety offence that led to the death of his brother shortly before Christmas four years ago.

Stephen ‘Nudge’ Webb died after falling through a barn roof while working for his brother.

Michael Webb’s company was fined £80,000 and he was ordered to do community service.

Worcester Crown Court was told how the accident happened, on December 9, 2015, during the installation of solar panels on the roof of a barn at Manor Farm, Orleton, Hereford.

Stephen Webb fell about seven metres through a fragile roof ridge panel to the ground below, suffering fatal injuries, the court heard.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found that no measures were in place to prevent falls from the roof or through the roof.

Light Power Grp Limited, of Keady Orchards, Boraston Bank, Tenbury Wells, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 4 (1) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005.

The company was fined £80,000 with a victim surcharge of £120.

The director of Light Power Grp Limited, Michael John Webb, of Keady Orchards, Boraston Bank, Tenbury, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 4 (1) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005.

He was given a 12-month community order to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work, and ordered to pay costs of £15,000 with a victim surcharge of £60.

Speaking after the hearing, Health and Safety Executive Inspector James Lucas said it was a tragic case with no winners.

“Falls from height remain one of the most common causes of work-related fatalities in this country, and the risks associated with working at height are well known,” said Mr Lucas.

“This tragic incident led to the avoidable death of a young man who had only that year become a father.

“This death could easily have been prevented if the company and director had acted to identify and manage the risks involved, and put a safe system of work in place.”

Before the court case Mike Webb had told the Advertiser that the day of the accident was the worst of his life.

He said that there was a possibility that he could go to prison, but that there was nothing the court could do that would compare to the pain of losing his brother.

Mr Webb said that he had not fitted another solar panel since the accident.

He had been a trustee of the Tenbury Swimming Pool, but resigned after the accident.

His company had donated solar panels to the swimming pool, which is owned by the community in the town.

Stephen Webb had been working for his brother while waiting for an opportunity to run a pub.

At the time of his death he had been looking forward to spending Christmas with his wife and baby daughter.

Friends of Stephen Webb have organised events to help the family.