Woofferton 1 Gower 42

Bromyard FC Jefferson 69, 88

DEFENDER Dave Thomas felt Woofferton ran out of steam in a heart-breaking HFA Burghill Cup final defeat.

Danny Gower fired Woofferton ahead three minutes before the interval and then crashed a powerful shot against an upright early in the second half.

But Woofferton paid for missed chances when Bromyard levelled through Chris Jefferson in the 69th minute and he hit the winner with just two minutes remaining at Allpay Park.

“We had a load of chances and scored just once. We should have scored four or five in the first half and put the game to bed,” said Thomas.

“We knew that Bromyard would come at us and when they brought on their young striker, he changed the game and they deserved to get their equaliser.

“Danny Gower missed a few goal-scoring opportunities, which proved crucial.

“Steve Chadd, our manager, was a bit dejected at the end and everyone is when you lose a final.”

“At the moment, we seem to be running out of steam.

“Apart from me, we are not a particularly old team. There are a few players in their 30s and they should be able to carry on 90 minutes and more.

“We train every Tuesday night and some players need to start doing more running to keep up their fitness levels.”

Woofferton goalkeeper James Robertson had a fine match – despite the heartache of a family bereavement.

“James’ mum has died and we are so gutted we lost because we tried hard and he wanted to win it for her,” said Thomas.

“James made it clear that he definitely wanted to play –he did well and made some good saves.”

Woofferton president John Stone kicked every ball on the sidelines and said the match followed a similar pattern to the club’s HFA Junior Cup semi-final defeat to Tenbury Town.

“It is a blow to lose two cup matches to late goals in the space of 10 days,” admitted Stone.

Woofferton will now turn their attention to next Tuesday’s Leintwardine Cup semi-final tie at Orleton Colts.

Stone said: “Every game is different, so we will approach the Leintwardine Cup match with confidence. I am sure we can get to another final but we must take our chances.”

Woofferton, who play in Herefordshire League Division One – one tier above Bromyard – took the lead in 42nd minute of last Wednesday’s final through Gower after a fine pass from Simon Bradley.

Gower clipped the top of the crossbar in the fifth minute and, soon afterwards, Bromyard defender Nathan Godsall somehow made a goal-line block from the striker.

Simon Bradley then had a glorious chance to put Woofferton in front in the 34th minute, after an excellent through-ball from Dave Nash, but he shot over with the goal at his mercy.

Jack Wilson’s header tested the reflexes of Bromyard goalkeeper Darren Tickle before Gower put Woofferton in front three minutes before the interval.

Gower almost doubled Woofferton’s advantage two minutes after the restart but his fierce shot crashed against the woodwork.