Tenbury Town 1 Orleton Colts 2

A MISTAKE from goalkeeper Steve Sumner cost Tenbury Town in a hard-fought HFA Junior Cup final at Westfields on Tuesday night, writes IAN MORGAN.

Sumner, who made some excellent saves, fumbled a cross from Shane Jennings for Martin Jones to knock in the winning goal with just eight minutes remaining.

Town, who were twice saved by the woodwork in the first half, took the lead through Mark Boucker’s close-range strike, from Chris Patton’s low cross, in the 67th minute.

Alex Bright almost extended Town’s advantage before Tom George hauled Orleton level, stabbing home a free kick from Jennings in the 75th minute.

Higher-graded Orleton kept pushing and profited from Sumner’s unfortunate error to secure their first HFA trophy success.

Town manager Darren Worthington said: “We changed it around at half-time and went 4-4-2 and I thought we looked a much better unit and started to play some great football.

“We took the lead and with 20 minutes remaining it looked like it was going to be our night. But we got caught flat footed for the first goal and Orleton’s second was from a mistake, which proved costly.

“I consoled Steve afterwards and told him to keep his head up and all the boys have given him their full support – mistakes happen and it’s one of those things.”

Worthington added: “We have a semi-final against Wellington Colts in the HFL Jock Handley Cup this Saturday and the lads want to get to a final where we would play Tenbury United.”

Earlier, Boucker lofted the ball over from close range and Orleton’s Swan rattled the bar and post as the match started at a frenetic pace.

Sumner made smart saves from Alex King and Shane Jennings, while Alex Lombardi produced a goal-saving block as Orleton finished off the half strongly.

Sumner also produced a fine save from Caswell, tipping a shot around a post.

Orleton boss Kristian Morgan said: “We were much better in the first half but we could not put the ball in the net – Steven Swan hit the bar and the inside of a post.

“Tenbury deserved their goal but I was pleased with the way we fought back. We have got to about six finals and lost – it was nice to win this.

“If we do go up to the Premier Division, I might have another season.

"We knew that Tenbury are a decent side. It was a battle and I think we deserved it. It’s the first HFA Trophy that we have won.”

Tenbury Town: Sumner, Lombardi, Fish, Edwards, Morris, Patton, Clifford, Farrar, Botwood, Bright, Boucker; Everall, Pitt, Wood, Worthington.

Orleton Colts: Thomas, Whittacase, Hopcutt, Shilcock, George, Goode, Jennings, Swan, Caswell, Jones, King; Cadwallader, Spear, Rooke, Morgan.

Referee: Mike Jones (Herefordshire FA).