Tenbury 28 pts Bishops Castle 22 pts

SPOKESMAN Pete Bevan is urging his Bishops Castle Rugby Club team-mates to repeat their second-half display, at Five Ways Old Edwardians.

Castle travel to Five Ways this weekend after fighting back from 28-3 down against Tenbury last Saturday at Palmer’s Meadow in Midlands Four West (North) .

Although Castle’s victory bid fell just short, Bevan says his side can take plenty of heart from their inspired second-half showing.

“The second half was a cracking game and we were disappointed now to win,” said Bevan.

“We were a bit relaxed when we turned up and I think we got caught napping. We had two tries disallowed which would have made things a bit different.

“We had a few stern words at half time and it seemed to work.

“We were missing some key players but the lads who came in were excellent.

“The effort in the second half was phenomenal.”

He added: “We have just beaten Five Ways at home and they also had a good win on Saturday, and, hopefully, we will have a few players back for the match.”

Former Ludlow player Dan Rawlings bagged two tries for Tenbury, while Russell Jones was outstanding, as Pete Stevens men sealed their fifth successive win.

Tenbury skipper Stevens said: “Russell Jones was our man of the match and, for two of our tries, he made it to halfway with four players hanging on to him. He is an unsung hero. His work-rate and yardage are incredible.

“Our first-half display was absolutely amazing and Bishops Castle could not cope with us.

“But Castle hit back after the interval and we had to work hard to keep them out.”

Stevens added: “Castle put us under a heck of a lot of pressure and we could not get out of our half.

“We just kept on tackling and I think our supporters couldn’t wait to hear the final whistle.”

Jack Holloway, who was later injured, kicked Castle 3-0 ahead with an early penalty. But Tenbury took control.

Wilkes offloaded to Rawlings who powered over and Will Gough slotted the conversion.

Jacob Thomas scored Tenbury’s second try which Gough converted.

Sam Thomas was next to cross for the hosts, following fine work from Stevens and Dan Rawlings, and Gough converted.

Dan Rawlings scored again and Gough added the extras to give the hosts into a 28-3 advantage.

Castle hit back before the interval and pulled back a try through Dave Cooper, after a catch-and-drive move from a line-out. Beddoes slotted the conversion.

Castle piled on the pressure in the second half. Keith Evans notched two second-half tries, with Beddoes adding a conversion.

Bevan added: “We ruined our chances in first 20 minutes but we won the second half and put in an excellent 40 minutes.”