Tenbury 28 pts Bishops Castle 22 pts

SKIPPER Pete Stevens says Tenbury’s players can relax and enjoy their final two matches after safeguarding their Midlands Four West (North) status for next season.

Brothers Jacob and Sam Thomas each scored a try for Tenbury, who opened up a 28-3 lead against visiting Bishops Castle before withstanding a second-half onslaught.

Dan Rawlings bagged two tries for Tenbury, who are now 12 points above second-bottom Warley after sealing their fifth successive league win.

But Tenbury will be without fly-half Andrew Wilkes, who was carried off with suspected knee ligament damage, for remaining matches against Bromyard and Cannock.

“Saturday’s win will definitely keep us up now and we are looking forward to our derby at Bromyard in a couple of weeks’ time,” said Stevens.

“Russell Jones was our man of the match and, for two of our tries, he made it to halfway with four players hanging on to him. He is an unsung hero. His work-rate and yardage are incredible.”

“Our first-half display was absolutely amazing and Bishops Castle could not cope with us.

“But Castle hit back after the interval and we had to work hard to keep them out.”

Stevens added: “Castle put us under a heck of a lot of pressure and we could not get out of our half.

“We just kept on tackling and I think our supporters couldn’t wait to hear the final whistle.”

Jack Holloway kicked Castle 3-0 ahead with an early penalty. But Tenbury took control.

Wilkes offloaded to Dan Rawlings who powered over and Will Gough slotted the conversion.

Young full-back Jacob Thomas scored Tenbury’s second try which Gough converted.

Sam Thomas was next to cross for the hosts, following fine work from Stevens and Dan Rawlings, and Gough converted.

Dan Rawlings scored again and Gough added the extras to give the hosts into a 28-3 advantage.

Castle hit back before the interval and pulled back a try through Dave Cooper, after a catch-and-drive move from a line-out. Beddoes slotted the conversion.

Castle piled on the pressure in the second half. Keith Evans notched two second-half tries, with Beddoes adding a conversion.

Castle spokesman Pete Bevan said his side had been denied two tries.

“The second half was a cracking game and we were disappointed now to win.

“We were a bit relaxed when we turned up and I think we got caught napping.

“We had a few stern words at half time and it seemed to work.”

He added: “We were missing some key players but the lads who came in were excellent.

“The effort in the second half was phenomenal.”