BOSS Andrew Green believes Bishops Castle Town can topple rivals Brown Clee this Saturday to keep alive their Mercian League Division One promotion hopes.

Castle are just three points behind second-placed Childs Ercall after a 2-0 victory at Hanwood United Reserves last Saturday.

Green and Sam Naden were on target for third-placed Castle, while Mark Griffiths was in top form.

“We are still third in the league and I am confident we can pick up three points at Brown Clee this Saturday.

“It was good to get another victory and keeps up the chase but we will need the top two to drop points.”

Holders Castle have also made progress in the Newcastle Cup after a thumping 4-0 success at Radnor Valley.

Braces from Niall Thomas and Alex Jones led Castle to victory.

Manager Wayne Whitbread says his Clee Hill United players need to raise their game for Saturday’s tricky trip to Meole Brace.

Hill crashed 2-1 at home to Shawbury United Reserves last weekend after Robbie Jordan had put the hosts ahead after four minutes.

Whitbread said: “It was one of our poorest performances for a couple of seasons. We could not get going. We had the perfect start but we flattered to deceive.”

Church Stretton Town were on the end of a surprise 2-0 defeat at Division Two high-fliers AFC Broseley in the Shropshire FA Challenge Cup third round.

The tie had been abandoned the previous weekend, with Stretton leading 1-0, when a home player suffered a nasty injury.

Joint-manager Joe Leask said: “I wasn’t able to make the match but I was a bit gutted with the defeat.

“Broseley’s lads were fired up and they are a team who are unbeaten in their league and will be in the Premier Division in a couple of years’ time. They have picked up a couple of lads from Wellington Amateurs.

“It’s disappointing because we would have been up against Claverley in the quarter-finals.

Fifth-placed Stretton travel to second-placed Telford Juniors this Saturday in the Mercian League Premier Division.

Leask said: “We defeated Teflord Juniors at home earlier in the season but they have won their last three matches.”

A brace from Aaron Dovey helped Ludlow Town Colts to a 3-1 home win over

Albrighton Juniors in Division Two.

Edward James was also on target for Ludlow.

Colts’ boss Chris Waldron said: “We were struggling for a side due to a stag party but the lads put in a great effort and got the win.”

Billy Hyett bagged brace for Newcastle, who fought back from 2-0 down at the break to overcome Llandrindod Wells Reserves 4-2 in the Mid Wales (South League).

Tom Bright’s introduction changed the game for Newcastle, who have maintained their title bid.

Craig Morris and Carl Price also netted for second-placed Newcastle who trail Llanidloes Town Reserves by six points.

Hyett snapped up a hat-trick as a depleted Newcastle thrashed Builth Wells Reserves 4-1 in the semi -finals of the Alf Sparey Cup at Presteigne.

Hyett took centre stage after Jamie Blythe had given Newcastle a second-minute lead.