SCHOOL HALL – Looking for a venue?
Tenbury Primary School offers hall hire, suitable for community functions, classes, groups, private parties, christenings and children’s parties. The hall is licensed to hold 200 people. For more
details of the hall hire, which includes the use of a well-equipped kitchen and ample parking, call the school office on 01584 810234.
THE MAYOR’S CHARITY BALL – The Mayor of Tenbury Wells Councillor Elizabeth Weston would be delighted if you could join her at Cadmore Lodge, near Tenbury Wells on Saturday, March 17. Dinner 7pm for
7.30pm, tickets £30.
All proceeds to the mayor’s charity the Tenbury Charity Trust in support of the ongoing refurbishment of the Regal.
Carriages at midnight. Contact the Town Clerk, The Pump Rooms, Teme St, Tenbury Wells, WR158BA. Call 01584 810118 or e-mail clerk@ tenburytown.org.uk.
PANCAKE LUNCH – Will be held on Tuesday at Tenbury Methodist Church Hall from noon to 2pm. Sweet or savoury pancakes and eat as many as you like. All proceeds will go to benefit the work of The
TENBURY WELLS AND DISTRICT HISTORY SOCIETY – The building group is producing a record of all the buildings in Tenbury to be kept at the museum and which will be available for use by researchers.
This record will give the history of each building, its age and structure, its past and present use and some information on occupation.
The group has already collected a great deal of information by using the knowledge of group members and local residents, deeds of buildings, Kelly’s directories and old photographs and census
records. This information is currently being computerised for ease of reference. The history of some buildings is surprising. 43-49 Cross Street was built in 1829 for the Tenbury National School,
the forerunner of the present Tenbury Primary School, now in Bromyard Road. Bedford Dials adjoining Teme Street was built as the corn exchange. It was not very successful in this role as farmers
preferred to do their business in the pubs. It was later used a magistrates court and a cell still survives today. It was Tenbury’s cinema from 1917-1937 when the Regal was built. Bedford Dials
acquired it early in the Second World War. Cornwall House in Cross Street was built by Sir Thomas Cornwall, the Baron of Burford, in the late 17th century as a dower house for his wife Ann.
Pembroke House got its name as it was bought in 1687 by Pembroke College, Oxford. The building group would be very interested to hear from anyone who has information on buildings. Deeds are
particularly useful in tracing the history of buildings. As the task is a considerable one, anyone who is prepared to help the group with its work would be warmly welcomed.
Those interested can call Peter Bevis on 01584 811719.