THE family of a Liverpool woman who died from Legionnaires’ disease shortly after staying at the Feathers Hotel in Ludlow in the summer has called upon specialist lawyers Irwin Mitchell to investigate her death.

Elaine Brown passed away aged 69 at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital on Saturday, August 26 after suffering a stroke after getting of Legionnaires’ disease, which emerged just days after she stayed at the hotel with her husband Graham on Monday, July 31 as part of a coach tour excursion.

The Feathers Hotel voluntarily closed after her death and Public Health England released details of another case that emerged in April, whereby another guest had contracted the illness after staying at the hotel.

Fortunately this guest, also from Merseyside, went on to make a full recovery. The Public Health England investigation is on-going and their formal Outbreak Report is awaited.

Mrs Brown’s family have now instructed Irwin Mitchell’s specialist Public Health team to investigate the circumstances surrounding her death and to determine whether more could have been done to protect her, or whether she and her husband should even have been allowed to stay at the hotel following the previous reports of the illness in April.

“If we had been told about the case of Legionnaires’ disease in April, there is absolutely no chance that we would have stayed there,” said Mrs Brown’s husband Graham.

“Nothing can possibly replace Elaine, but the hotel’s management have to ensure they are doing everything they possibly can to make sure their guests are protected from avoidable illnesses like this.”

Ian Taylor, General Manager of The Feathers says the hotel will not reopen until its get the all clear..

“The Feathers has fully co-operated both with the local authority and with Public Health England throughout. Upon learning of the April issue immediate action was taken in accordance with professional expert advice received,” he said.

“All advised remedial work was carried out following which further testing was undertaken. The affected rooms were not re-opened until all concerned were satisfied that it was safe to do so.

“At the time of Mrs Browns visit there was no reason to believe that guests visiting or staying at the hotel would be at risk from Legionella bacteria. All at the Feathers have been deeply upset by Mrs Brown’s death and have worked tirelessly with the authorities in their investigation and in the quest to do whatever it takes to ensure guests are safe. We express our sincere condolences to Mrs Brown’s family and friends and confirm that The Feathers Hotel will not re-open until the current extensive works to a complex system have been completed.