A BUILDER was involved in a road rage incident in Ludlow when he jumped up and down on the roof of another car, a court heard.

The confrontation happened in a lay-by after Richard Phillips was seen driving "erratically" on the A49 between Ludlow and Hereford.

The 29-year-old also caused other vehicles to brake to avoid a collision and he later tried to overtake several cars and a lorry.

Magistrates at Telford heard that Phillips was followed by a police patrol as he reached Hereford but failed to stop.

At court Phillips admitted charges of criminal damage, driving without due care and attention and failing to stop for police.

Magistrates told Phillips his actions had been very foolish and had bordered on dangerous driving.

Phillips, of High Street, Much Wenlock, was fined a total of £510 and must pay £250 compensation and £135 court costs.

The court was told that Phillips' Toyota Aygo was seen flashing its lights and swerving behind a Nissan car near Ludlow on April 19 this year.

Abigail Hall, prosecuting, said when the Nissan driver pulled into a lay-by Phillips had also stopped and got out of his car.

She said Phillips walked towards the Nissan with his fists raised, climbed onto the vehicle and began jumping up and down on the roof causing an estimated £500 damage.

After returning to his car Phillips had swerved in front of another vehicle and caused the driver to brake to prevent a collision.

"As the defendant approached Hereford, he tried to overtake four vehicles and a lorry which forced other vehicles to brake and he served close to a cyclist," she said.

A police patrol attempted to stop Phillips by putting on blue lights but he had smiled at the officer and drove on and only stopped because of stationary traffic.

Miss Hall said Phillips initially refused to open the car door and to get out of the vehicle.

When cautioned, Phillips replied 'Where's the judge?' and in an interview accepted causing damage to the Nissan, but did not give a reason for his behaviour.

At court Phillips, who represented himself, accepted driving in an aggressive manner and told magistrates he was 'guilty of the charges'.