EMERGENCY services attended a flat fire in Ludlow town centre at around 6.30am this morning.

Fire appliances from Ludlow and Craven Arms turned out to tackle the fire in a second floor flat in Market Street.

No-one was hurt but the gas and electrical supply was isolated and fire fighters needed to use breathing apparatus because of smoke.

Occupier Sara Cuadros told the Ludlow Advertiser she was woken up at 6.10am by the smell of smoke.

"I didn't hear the alarm. I woke up my partner and we started to look around," said Ms Cuadros.

"I said it smells funny and we started to cough.

"We found smoke in my bedroom and in the kitchen.

"It was coming from behind the hob and there was a lot of smoke there.

"We opened the windows and we phoned the fire brigade.

"The smoke was quite thick but I am absolutely fine."

The police and ambulance services also attended the fire.