LUDLOW Cemetery will be the focal point of the town’s commemoration of 100 years since the start of the First World War.
It is also 100 years since the cemetery in Henley Road was opened.
The town council has applied for funding to restore 25 wooden boards, bearing the names of those who served in the First World War and has received some funding towards this from the Ludlow and Clee Joint Committee. Listed Building Consent has been received to hang the boards in the public spaces at the Guildhall, which it is hoped will happen later this year.
There will be a formal civic service at St. Laurence’s Church at 11.30 am on Sunday August 3 to mark the commencement of the war to which all will be welcome.
Henley Road Cemetery commemorates its centenary year and an interactive display has been created, which can be accessed from the town council’s website at www.ludlow.gov.uk
The display provides information known about those buried at the cemetery in 1914 and some information regarding local circumstances and events at the time.
If anyone has any information or photographs they would like included in the display contact Naomi Brotherton at Ludlow Town Council on 01584 871970 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A horse parade has also been planned for 2015 to commemorate both horses and military personnel who left Ludlow four days after war was declared.