Campaign to educate public on dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning launched (From Ludlow Advertiser)
Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting LU NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Campaign to educate public on dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning launched
A CAMPAIGN has been launched in a bid to prevent a repeat of the tragedy in which a teenage girl died on a camping holiday near Ludlow.
Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service is helping to educate the public about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning after the tragic death of 14-yearold Hannah Thomas- Jones.
Station manager Shaun Baker told a coroner at the inquest into Hannah’s death how he carried out a reconstruction of the event leading up to the teenager’s death in Bucknell, as part of a joint investigation with police in May last year.
Hannah died after a barbecue was left inside the tent for the family to keep warm.
She was killed by fumes from the barbecue, the coroner ruled.
Hannah was pronounced dead by paramedics the morning after she arrived at the site behind the Baron of Beef pub.
An inquest at Wem Coroner’s Court heard her stepfather Phil Jones, mother Danielle and her 11-year-old brother, were also found unconscious inside the tent and rushed to hospital, but survived.
The hearing heard the family, from Wilmslow in Cheshire, arrived at the campsite on May 5 last year and watched a football match in the pub before going to their tent for a barbecue.
“It was clear the barbecue had burned down,” said Hannah’s mother giving evidence.
“We wanted to take it into the porch area of the tent.
We were cold and I thought the children would be cold.
We made it effectively fireproof, but we didn’t understand the dangers of carbon monoxide.”
A reconstruction showed carbon monoxide levels would have been higher at the back of the tent.
Mid and north-west Shropshire coroner John Ellery passed a verdict of accidental death.
Shaun, who was the incident commander at the scene on the day Hannah died, monitored the CO2 levels inside the tent during the barbecue reconstruction.
“We found that the carbon monoxide levels were different at various parts of the tent.
“Hannah had been at the back of the tent while her family was facing the front.”
Ludlow MP Philip Dunne who met Hannah’s mother last year said he hoped that the inquest helped to bring some sort of closure to the family.
“I would back anything that raises awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and encourages people to fit an alarm,” he said.