Campaign to educate public on dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning launched

Campaign to educate public on dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning launched

Hannah Thomas-Jones

The scene of the tragedy.

First published in News by

A CAMPAIGN has been launched in a bid to prevent a repeat of the tragedy in which a teenage girl died on a camping holiday near Ludlow.

Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service is helping to educate the public about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning after the tragic death of 14-yearold Hannah Thomas- Jones.

Station manager Shaun Baker told a coroner at the inquest into Hannah’s death how he carried out a reconstruction of the event leading up to the teenager’s death in Bucknell, as part of a joint investigation with police in May last year.

Hannah died after a barbecue was left inside the tent for the family to keep warm.

She was killed by fumes from the barbecue, the coroner ruled.

Hannah was pronounced dead by paramedics the morning after she arrived at the site behind the Baron of Beef pub.

An inquest at Wem Coroner’s Court heard her stepfather Phil Jones, mother Danielle and her 11-year-old brother, were also found unconscious inside the tent and rushed to hospital, but survived.

The hearing heard the family, from Wilmslow in Cheshire, arrived at the campsite on May 5 last year and watched a football match in the pub before going to their tent for a barbecue.

“It was clear the barbecue had burned down,” said Hannah’s mother giving evidence.

“We wanted to take it into the porch area of the tent.

We were cold and I thought the children would be cold.

We made it effectively fireproof, but we didn’t understand the dangers of carbon monoxide.”

A reconstruction showed carbon monoxide levels would have been higher at the back of the tent.

Mid and north-west Shropshire coroner John Ellery passed a verdict of accidental death.

Shaun, who was the incident commander at the scene on the day Hannah died, monitored the CO2 levels inside the tent during the barbecue reconstruction.

“We found that the carbon monoxide levels were different at various parts of the tent.

“Hannah had been at the back of the tent while her family was facing the front.”

Ludlow MP Philip Dunne who met Hannah’s mother last year said he hoped that the inquest helped to bring some sort of closure to the family.

“I would back anything that raises awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and encourages people to fit an alarm,” he said.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree