CHURCH Stretton’s Joe Leask is targeting a top-three finish after his side recorded a 3-1 home win over lowly Dawley Town.

Stretton are leading the Mercian League Premier Division table - but they have played more games than their rivals.

Two late goals gave Stretton the points last weekend and they host Oakengates Athletic this Saturday.

“We have to keep picking up the points at home,” said joint-manager Leask. “I think a top-three finish is still achievable for us.”

Max Jarrold opened the scoring for Stretton after a through-ball from Ben Jones before Dawley levelled in the second-half.

Ashley Wells’ spot-kick restored Stretton’s advantage after a foul on Shaun Gough. Gough then struck to seal the points.

“We lost 4-1 at Oakengates earlier in the season which was a harsh result,” said Leask.

“We have twice lost 5-1 away from home and also 4-1 but we have only three more away matches left.”

Two goals from player-boss Andy Green guided Bishop’s Castle Town to a 4-2 home win over Wroxeter Rovers in the Mercian League Division One Cup.

Jack Wilson and Luke Hicks also scored for Castle in this first-round tie. Hicks also assisted a goal with a raking 60-yard ball downfield.

Green said both teams missed a lot of chances and is worried about losing hard-working Wilson for Saturday’s league trip to Rock Rovers.

“Jack is our engine in the club and he’s going skiing,” said Green. “Gaz Bromley has strained ankle ligaments and he could be missing for four weeks.”

Dave Chadd converted two penalties as he bagged a hat-trick in Woofferton’s 4-3 defeat at leaders Weobley in the Herefordshire League Division One.

Goals from James Byatt and Tom Worrallo fired Duncan Morris’ Woofferton Colts to a 2-1 victory at Pencombe in the FW Peterson Cup third round.

Wayne Davies’ brace inspired in-form Bucknell to a 6-2 win over Llandrindod Wells Reserves in Mid Wales League (South).

Chris Yarwood, Adam Ray, Simon Oakley and Dave Jones were also on target for Bucknell, who led 6-1 at the break and are now unbeaten in six matches.

Teenager Ben Malley netted his maiden goal for Newcastle, who moved up to fourth and completed a league double, with a 3-2 win over Llanidloes Town Reserves.

The 16-year-old opened the scoring before limping off with a hip injury. Scott Oxford hit Newcastle’s second with a 30-yard lob.

Jimmy Thomas sealed the points for Newcastle with a stunning volley and they are 10 points behind leaders Penybont.

Wayne Griffiths snapped up a brace in Norbury’s 3-2 defeat against The Old Post Office in the Shrewsbury Sunday League Division One. Norbury conceded two early goals before Griffiths reduced arrears. Debutant Niall Thomas almost scored with a glancing header.